Friday 14 December 2012

A New Moon, a Bright Moon

Two years ago I moved from a cramped, one bedroom apartment into the house that I share with my fiancĂ©. I finally have my own piece of earth and realized that I have no idea what to do with it. In truth, it goes beyond the land my house sits on. I’ve come to realize that there is little seasonal flow to my life. And as two working under-thirties, my non-pagan partner and I have few traditions that we have built for ourselves. While those will come with time, it’s the lack of spiritual traditions for my solitary practice that leaves me dissatisfied. I have wonderful people that I share circle with every couple of weeks and I do small rituals and devotionals on my own but they don’t feel intrinsic. They don’t feel connected to the greater forces, to where I want my work to bring me.

This is something that I am aiming to change. Seasonal flow, that awareness of the turning of the Earth and how it impacts my life and what I do. That is what I am focusing on this year. I know that it will take work, and patience, and spectacular failures. But I finally know what I want my life to look like in a few years time and I have a plan for getting there in other aspects of my life. My spirituality is too important to me to allow it to lag behind while I plan a wedding and take online courses to prepare for a new career.

I have always thought of Samhain as the end of the old year and the marking of a liminal time of reflection that ends with the return of the light at the Winter Solstice. So it didn’t surprise me when the idea for this blog took hold last month and refused to let go. I fully admit that it is a way to keep track and keep accountable of my efforts towards building a home spiritual practice that I can call mine. New years bring new chances, with the benefit of more experience. Each year we know ourselves a bit better, and each year we are better equipped to work for what we want our lives to be.

Those efforts begin tonight. It is the New Moon before Yule, and so I am building a bridge between the lunar and solar calendars. Each night of this lunar cycle I will light a special pillar candle as part of my devotional practice to call back the light, to call back the parts of myself that I will need to embark on this journey, to begin the work of this turn of the Wheel.

So welcome to my new project! May your homes be filled with love and laughter and may the imminent return of the light bring with it the promise of exciting new opportunities for the year to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment