Saturday 29 December 2012

Laying Out a Life

I pray to Artemis when I go to the gym.

I don't generally like going to the gym. I like it once I'm there, but the gym I signed up for is a twenty minute drive away and going to a class takes most of my evening. I hurt for days after a work out. (Less after a kickboxing class.) I despise burpees and the trainers love them. But I go because I do not enjoy feeling weak in my skin. And I go to that gym -- even though it's more expensive, even though it's farther away -- because their philosophy is in line with my own and if I don't have someone to kick my ass I'll sit on the couch and be lazy.

I only manage to go once a week (sometimes twice if I'm doing a yoga class as well). Before each class starts I go to the washroom, touch water to my hands, heart, and third eye, ground, align, and pray. I pray for strength, for endurance, for joy, for power, for determination, for whatever I feel I'm lacking in that moment that will help me get through the next hour. It's my devotional to Her.

I pray to Demeter when I cook dinner. It's a simple food blessing, but it sanctifies the meal and the act of making and eating it:

Goddess bless this food
Bless those who cook it and eat it
Bless those who gave their lives and livelihoods for it
Bless the great green Earth from which it came

I recently had a consultation with a naturopath who suggests a variety of ways to adjust my diet with the aim of improving my overall energy. I know that this deeper relationship with food and energy will also involve a deeper relationship with the Grain Mother.

This is how I honour my gods. It is not just carving out a space and time that is distinct in its spiritual purpose. It is inviting them into my life. It is laying my life out before them and saying "Bless this, enter this, make this better, help it to fuel my purpose." The Sacred is everywhere. We only realize this, and the immense possibility of such a statement, when we start to treat it as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment